More Daniells in the 1700s

July 3, 2009

 

Nathaniel Daniels, 1719-1799

Nathaniel, the son of John and Elliner Daniels was born in Milton, Massachusetts in 1719.  He married Ann Grosvenor in 1741 in Pomfret, Connecticut.  They had 11 children before Ann died in 1762.  Nathaniel had two more marriages and outlived all three wives. 

Nathaniel was seventeen years old when his family moved to Pomfret,  which was a prosperous township.  “Trumpets sounded the approach of the coaches that stopped with a flourish before the Inns on their way between New York and Boston. Buisness was good.  It was a coming town” (Daniels-Daniells Family, Volume 2, p. 57).  He is referred to as a “cloathe dresser and a clotherier.”  In 1761, Nathaniel was made a Lieutenant in the 11th Regiment of Connecticut and served in the Indian wars.  In 1762 he was made a Captain. 

Nathaniel moved to Worthington, Massachusetts, in 1768, the year it was incorporated.  He built the first frame house in town.  At the first town meeting, which was held in his house, Capt. Nathaniel Daniels was chosen one of the Wardens.  He was a tavern keeper and took an active part in the affairs of the town. He was a selectman in 1770, 1773, 1775, and 1780. 

At first there were no roads.  Travel was entirely by blazed trail, and distances to neighbors were great and difficult.  Quilting was a favorite social event, but the pioneer women had to bake a supply to last their family for three days, farm the baby out with a neighbor, spend one day going, one quilting, and one returning.  The first road was laid out so as to connect with the Chesterfield road and running west until it reached the place where stood the Inn of Alexander Miller.  Subsequently, this road was changed so as to lead directly from “The Corners” to the Inn of Capt. Nathaniel Daniels.  This change was made by the town so as to prevent any travel by the house of Alexander Miller who favored the cause of Great Britain and to secure the same to Captain Nathaniel Daniels who was a zealous patriot.  The second road to Chester passes Daniel’s Inn.  (The History of Worthington by James C. Rice)

On June 28, 1774 word reach Worthington of an embargo on shipping in Boston.  Nathaniel was one of five members of the town Committee of Correspondence established to communicate with the committees in Boston.  (Dr. Thomas Young was also involved in this activity (see the Winegars in the 1700s post dated June 30, 2009).  Following the battles at Lexington and Concord, Nathaniel and his son Nathaniel, Jr. (our ancestor), marched as minutemen as privates in Capt. Ebenezer Weber’s Company to Cambridge.  Nathaniel Sr.’s term is recorded as one month and five days, his son’s as 24 days.  Short enlistments were the norm during this time but seriously hindered the cause of the colonies in the Revolutionary War. 

Revolutionary War Minutemen

Revolutionary War Minutemen

Josiah Gilbert Holland’s history of Western Massachusetts, published in 1855, provides interesting details of life in Worthington during the time that Nathaniel was actively involved in the war effort.

In 1780, a requisition made upon the town for horses, found the people without the required number, and even then they voted to give the security of the town for the price of the horses, if they could be found elsewhere.  Between 1779 and 1782, such was the number of men in the army that not more than ten or twelve men, out of more than seventy families living in the town, attended the church on the Sabbath.

Nathaniel later is recorded as serving under Lt. Constant Weber’s Company for 12 days during the Battle of Bennington.

Battle of Bennington

Battle of Bennington

After the war, Nathaniel sold his land and moved to a place near Albany.  He sold his land for continental currency which became worthless, and, at one point, both Nathaniel Sr. and Nathaniel Jr. were threatened with debtor’s prison.  There were thousands of other people with similar problems, including one Winegar ancestor, which led to Shay’s Rebellion.  Nathaniel was not a part of this rebellion but remained bitter about the experience.  He made his sons promise never to take pensions from the government, and apparently they never did. 

In 1783 Nathaniel moved to Rutland, Vermont, where he lived for the remainder of his life.  He died in 1799.

 

Nathaniel Daniels, Jr., 1742-1830

Nathaniel Daniels, Jr., son of Nathaniel and Ann, was born in 1742 at Pomfret, Connecticutt.  He married Esther Lee at Thompson, Connecticutt, in 1762, and they had 11 children.  The fourth son, William (born in 1775) was our ancestor.

As mentioned above, Nathaniel Jr. served as a minuteman in the Battle of Cambridge.  Following the Revolutionary War and the financial collapse of the continental currency, he and his father were sued and threatened with debtor’s prison.  They satisfactorily paid off all their debts.

Nathaniel died in 1830 in Saratoga County, New York.  He left a will that mentioned his wife and nine children.  Presumably, two of the eleven children were deceased or otherwise left unmentioned.

Home of Nathaniel Daniels, Jr., in Saratoga County, New York.  Photo from The Daniels-Daniells Family, Vol. 2.

Home of Nathaniel Daniels, Jr., in Saratoga County, New York. Photo from The Daniels-Daniells Family, Vol. 2.


The Daniells Family in the 1700s

July 2, 2009

 

John Daniell, Jr., 1685-1765

John Daniell, the second son of John and Dorothy Daniel, was born in 1685 in Milton, Massachusetts.  He married Elliner Verin in Milton in 1707.  Elliner was a relative of Captain Lemuel Gulliver who returned to Ireland in 1723 and described America to his neighbor Jonathan Swift in such an exaggerated way that Swift used his name three years later in his famous Gulliver’s Travels. Lemuel said the “frogs in America reached up to his knees and had musical voices like the twang of a guitar and the mosquitoes had bills as large as darning needles.”  (The Daniels-Daniells Family Vol. 2). 

001_gullivers_travels

 John was actively involved in the affairs of Milton, serving as constable, sealer of weights, “servaur” of highways, and fence viewer (surveyer).  He was a selectman and on the committee to build the meeting house.  In 1728, the property on Milton Hill which John Grenaway had given to William Daniel, John’s grandfather, 76 years earlier was desired by the Secretary of the Colony.  John sold the property at a good price and a few years later moved his family to Pomfret, Connecticut.

In Pomfret he bought Howes Mill on the Quinebaug River for 2400 pounds, a big sum of money then. He became a captain in the militia during the French and Indian War. At age 75 he sold the mill property to Benjamin Cargill and returned to Milton where he died at age 80.

Scenes from the Quinebaug River Valley

Scenes from the Quinebaug River Valley

Marker at Cargill Falls Mill, site of mill owned by John Daniels.

Marker at Cargill Falls Mill, site of mill owned by John Daniels.


The Stephenson family in the 1700s

July 2, 2009

 Henry Stephenson, 1697-

Henry Stepheson was born in 1697 and married Martha Richardson in 1723 in Hogsthorpe, Lincolnshire, England.  They had three sons and three daughters.  Martha Richardson Stephenson was christened in Mumby Chapel in 1702.  The original building washed into the sea in 1750 and was rebuilt. 

St. Thomas Church at Mumby, Hogsthorpe, Lincolnshire.

St. Thomas Church at Mumby, Hogsthorpe, Lincolnshire.

Henry Stephenson, 1728- 

Henry and Martha’s second son Henry, our ancestor, was born in 1728.  He married Mary Swin (or Swinn) in 1765. 

George Stephenson, 1774-1846

Our ancestor George Stephenson was born to Henry and Mary in 1774.  He married Elizabeth Would (or Wold) in 1797.  More information will follow on the life of George.


The Bliss Family in the 1700s

July 1, 2009

 

David Bliss (1722-1760)

Following the death of Thomas Bliss in 1650, his widow Margaret Hulins Bliss relocated the family to Springfield, Massachusetts where she lived with her daughter Mary Bliss Parsons.  Margaret died in 1684, outliving both her husband and her son Lawrence. 

David Bliss, Margaret’s great-grandson, was born in Springfield in 1722 and probably lived in the house shown below.  He was for many years Town Constable of Springfield.  He married Miriam Sexton in 1757.  He lived only three years after his marriage and died of smallpox just a week before his 38th birthday. 

Home of Margaret Bliss in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Home of Margaret Bliss in Springfield, Massachusetts.

David Bliss, Jr. (1758-1791)

David Bliss, Jr. was born in Springfield in 1758.  He married Lucy Stebbins in 1787.  He was a shoemaker, tanner, and currier.  His health failed, and he lived only four years after his marriage.  He died in 1791 at the age of 33. 

Courthouse of colonial Springfield, Massachusetts.

Courthouse of colonial Springfield, Massachusetts.

Parsons Tavern in Springfield, Massachusetts, 1776

Parsons Tavern in Springfield, Massachusetts, 1776


More Winegars in the 1700s

June 30, 2009

 

Garrett Winegar (1702-1756)

Garrett Winegar, the only son of Ulrich and Anna, was born in Germany in 1702.  He traveled with his family to New York, lived 14 years in the East Camp previously described, and then settled in Amenia in 1724.  He was naturalized in 1716 under the name of Hans Gerhard Weyniger.  He married Catherine Snyder, another Palatine immigrant,  in about 1725.  Garrett had 14 children, nine boys and 5 girls.  Our ancestor is Ulrich(3).

Garrett is frequently referred to as Captain Winegar and probably served in the British Army.  He was confirmed Ensign of the South Company of the Train Band of Sharon Connecticut in May, 1745, and Captain of the same in October, 1747.  In about 1739, he purchased 300-400 acres in Sharon, Connecticut, and built a grist mill.  This was the first mill in the area and ground grain that the settlers ate.  He held a number of positions in the community and was considered intelligent and well educated, mostly in German.  He was very friendly with the Indians, by whom he was regarded with greatest respect and many times defended them against the injustice of his white neighbors.  In his death, he charged his children to never allow an Indian to go from their door in want of food.  He died of Bilious Cholic at the age of 54 and was buried with his parents in the Amenia Cemetery.

One of Garrett’s sons Hendrick built a mansion in Amenia in 1761.  It became know in the area as the Winegar House and survived until about 2000 when it collapsed under a load of snow.  An effort by Winegar descendants to raise money to preserve it was unsuccessful.  The pictures below show the house as it was before and after the collapse.

Winegar House, before and after collapse.

Winegar House, before and after collapse.

Ruins of the Winegar House.  Photo by Sandra Winegar.

Ruins of the Winegar House. Photo by Sandra Winegar.

Garrett owned one slave named Tom.  In his will he referred to Tom as “a faithful and good tenant my will is that when he is unable for service he shall be maintained out of my estate comfortable as long as he shall live and not be sold out of my family nor from this house if any of my family living there.”  In the 1790 census his son Conrad is showed owning one slave. This is 35 years after Garrett’s death and may or may not be the same man. No other records I have seen show slave holding among the Winegars.

Dr. Thomas Young

Thomas Young practiced medicine in the Oblong (Amenia) for 11 years.  At one time he lived in Garrett’s home and met Garrett’s daughter Mary, whom he later married.  While living in Amenia, Young became friends with Ethan Allen.  He became convinced that Dutchess County was not doing enough to stop the British from interfering in colonial affairs.  He moved to Albany and actively opposed the operation of the Stamp Act and then moved to Boston.  As war approached he became a member of the Committee of Correspondence.  Other than Samuel Adams, he was the most active member.  He spoke at the Old South Meeting House on December 16, 1773 a few hours before the tea was thrown overboard.  Young was the only member of the Boston Tea Party who was not disguised as an Indian

When friends learned of an attempt to kidnap Young and take him to England to be tried for treason, he escaped to Philadelphia where his family joined him.   Here he became secretary of the Whig Society and associated with a small group of radicals who with the counsel of Benjamin Franklin framed the constitution of Pennsylvania.  He died in 1777 from an illness contracted while caring for wounded and sick soldiers.

Thomas Young is credited with naming the state of Vermont, as well as Amenia.

After her husbands death, Mary Winegar disposed of her property and took most of her pay in Continental currency, which became worthless, and she became penniless.  This was a common occurrence among several of our ancestors.

Thomas Young Marker at Amenia.  Photo by Sandra Winegar.

Thomas Young Marker at Amenia. Photo by Sandra Winegar.

Ulrich Winegar (3) (1729-1812)

Ulrich was the third son of Garrett.  He married Anna Nase about 1748.  Possibly because of a conflict with his brothers, he built his own grist mill about a mile northof the one built by his father.  He was not very successful in business and was frequently quite poor.  At times he was supported by his son Ashbel (our Ancestor).

Ulrich served as a Sergeant in the French and Indian War.  He and Anna had 5 sons and two daughters.  His wife died, and he remarried Sarah Tolles.  It is interesting to note that Sarah is a direct descendent of Roger Alling, a Bliss ancestor.  He died in 1712 in Nassau, Rensselaer Co., New York at the home of Ulrich (5), his grandson.

Ashbel(4) Winegar (1754-1809)

Ashbel, a house carpenter, was born in Amenia.  He married Elizabeth Carr and had nine children, Ulrich (5) being our ancestor.  He served in the Revolutionary War in both the 6th Regiment, Dutchess County Militia and in the 4thRegiment, Albany County Militia.  He is in the 4th Regiment records as Ashbel Vinigar.  Dutchess County was very important to the revolutionary effort.  It is located on the Hudson River, which was the main route between British forces in Canada and in New York City.  Whoever controlled the river had a major advantage.  Those living in the county had to take a loyalty oath to either the Brittish or the Colonials.  The population was divided with approximately one-third supporting the British.  James Fennimore Cooper’s novel, The Spy was set in this area and time.

 

James Fenimore Cooper's The Spy

James Fenimore Cooper's The Spy


Uldrich Winegar in the 1700s

June 24, 2009

At the end of the 1600s Ulrich and his family were located in Wurttemburg, Germany.  He and Anna had two daughters, Anna and Elizabeth, and a son Garrett, who were born between 1698 and 1705.

The Palatines

The Palatine region, where the Winegars settled, was torn by wars throughout most of the 1600s.  The Thirty Years War was from 1618-1648.  This was followed by other wars.  It is estimated that as much as 50% of the population lost their lives during these conflicts.  The ruler of the region broke with France, which infuriated Louis XVI.  He ordered the region burned to the ground, and two cities and 25 villages were reduced to ashes.  We don’t know if the Winegars lived in any of these areas.

At this time, the ruler controlled all the land.  Workers were heavily taxed to support the war effort and could only buy and sell through their landlord.  During 1708-1709, the region experienced a devastatingly cold winter.  The rivers froze and all the crops, including the vineyards, were destroyed.  Starvation was everywhere.

During this time, England was busy colonizing the New World.  Queen Anne saw the Palatines as a valuable source to populate the region and create wealth for England.  She had advertisements distributed throughout the Palatine region promising land in America.  Facing starvation in their own land, thousands responded.  The ruler prohibited migration and even threatened death to those caught leaving, but most ignored the threats.

To escape, the Palatines had to make a four to six week trip during the winter, up the Rhine River to Rotterdam, Holland.  The Dutch were unprepared for all the immigrants and quickly arranged to send them on to England.  England, likewise, was unable to handle so many sick and starving people.  As quickly as possible, they were relocated, many to the New World.  English sea captains were paid a “bounty” by the crown to recruit and transport colonists to America.  The Palantines who spoke only German signed English language contracts which commited them to pay for their passage perhaps from their labor in the new world where they were promised land. 

Most of the Palatines were sent to Pennsylvania, and they became known as the Pennsylvania Dutch.  Ulrich and family were on the List of Palatines leaving England in June of 1709.  They went to New York.  On the list, Ulrich said he was 41 years old, of the Catholic Religion and gave his occupation as Husbandman and Vinedresser.  Being Catholic would have been unusual in that most of the Palatines were protestants and oppression by the Catholic Church was another reason for escaping from Germany.  We have no record of the family being Catholic in New York.

Conditions on the voyage were terrible.  Approximately one-sixth of the passengers were buried at sea.  When they arrived in the New World, the local population was so afraid of all the sickness on board that the passengers were quarantined on Governor’s Island for six months.  This was the first case of a quarantine of immigrants in America.

Eventually, in 1710, they reached the area where they were to settle.  The Palatines lived in camps across from each other on the Hudson River – the East Camp, where Ulrich lived with his family, and the West Camp.  The East Camp came to be called Germantown, New York.  It is said that, although people in the two camps could see one another across the river, they were unable to meet face to face except in the winter when they could cross on the ice.  Even with today’s modern roads and bridges, the distance is 17 1/2 miles between the two camps.  The campsites are memorialized in monuments, one bearing the names of the residents of the camps.   

East Camp Marker.  Photo by Sandra Winegar.

East Camp Marker. Photo by Sandra Winegar.

Note name "Winninger" in East Camp list, last name on second row from bottom.  Photo by Sandra Winegar.

Note name "Winninger" in East Camp list, last name on second row from bottom. Photo by Sandra Winegar.

View from East Camp to West Camp across Hudson River.  Photo by Sandra Winegar.

View from East Camp to West Camp across Hudson River. Photo by Sandra Winegar.

 Although we have no real information on life at Germantown, we do know they became tenants to the lord of the manor, Robert Livingston.  The colonists had been promised land but did not receive it until 1724, 14 years after arriving.   Ulrich, bitter that others had profited unfairly from his labor, sold his land the same year and relocated to the Oblong, which is now Amenia, New York.

Amenia

Map showing Amenia and Germantown

Map showing Amenia and Germantown

Ulrich, his wife, and son Garrett moved from the East Camp (Germantown) to Amenia, a distance of about 50 miles,  in 1725.  At the time, there was only one other white person living in the area.  Ulrich obtained land from the Indians and built a house.  Later, when the area became part of the colony, he was able to purchase this land at a reasonable price.  Apparently, they got along very well with the Indians in that they had no need for blockhouses or forts although other nearby communities required them.  We know little about Ulrich’s life in Amenia, but he was known as being a very laborious man, possessed of an iron constitution and of great muscular power.

Anna died in 1735 and Ulrich in 1750.  They are buried in the family cemetery in Amenia.

Jim Winegar at Ulrich's grave.  Photo by Sandra Winegar.

Jim Winegar at Ulrich's grave. Photo by Sandra Winegar.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 29 other followers